Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Finkelstein

As the author of 'The Forgotten Kingdom' is not as subscriber to traditional view of Scripture authorship, his book to me can only be helpful as to what archeology can add to the topic. I am not familiar with the Maximalist versus Minimalist approaches so I have some extra study to do. This is my first venture into this topic except for what others have referred to in apologetic works. I did look at the author's work on David and Solomon and saw his sceptical attitude towards a united kingdom there, in fact, whether David and Solomon even existed as portrayed in the O.T.

F. contrasts his methods with N. Na'aman on p.45 and on p.53 identifies himself as favoring the Maximalist camp (at least re: Saul). So far, thru 3 chapters, I truly appreciate his archeological emphasis but my limited knowledge of Deuteronomistic text (higher criticism?) is not allowing me to evaluate this work completely. I may skip ahead and see where this is going but it seems a little to advanced for my novice knowledge in this area.

Yeah it is a little advance. I do appreciate Finkelstein frankness regarding his studies. I know he has worked with a lot of high caliber folks. What I find intersting the most about this book is its focus on the Northern Israel. Like Finkelstein mentioned, Israel is not really mentioned much in the Bible, or in archaeology, since the Bible is biased in favor of Judah (and I don't mean that in the negative sense regarding bias!).

As far as strengthening faith and apologetics standpoint, Finkelstein so far does provide evidence that the *something* did happen like the core of the biblical stories say, though Finkelstein thinks that the oral stories, or the propaganda, have changed some of the details. This doesn't really bother me as ancient culture often changed the stories to fit the current situation of the time in order to preserve the core truth. I compare this with our (American) story of George Washington and chopping down the cherry tree. Completely made up thing, though the person is historical, and perhaps his character is true as protrayed in the story, the details are made up. And its a great story that rings true.

I will definitly pick something more accessible for the Bookclub.

1. Well I wouldn't say it isn't appropriate for bc, just that my exposure to archeology is limited. I plan on remedying that with some books, subscribing to periodicals periodically, and videos.
  2. As far as the whole oral history and  literary genre thing goes, I did read Blomberg's Can you trust the Bible book but I have more exploration to go with Licona I think.
  3. If we are still doing Fools Talk next month, I'll be ready; I bought the Audible version.

We are definitely doing fool’s talk for September!